Thursday, September 16, 2010

Un-Be-Weave-Able


I’m going to stereotype and say that Ghanaian women love fake hair. As a matter of fact I am pretty sure that starting a church or selling weaves are two of the easiest and fastest ways to get rich in Ghana. I admit that not ALL Ghanaian women wear fake hair but many, in fact the vast majority, prefer wearing some sort of hair attachment to their own hair. And I think I am the newest convert. I was never a weave wearer when in the US. At most I would wear my hair in tiny braids that ended in loose curls. I would often do that when I wanted to take a break from chemical straighteners. At one point I wore my hair in braids for about two years (not the same braids, I removed and redid them about every 8-10 weeks). I did so because I wanted to grow all the chemicals out of my hair and wear my hair in its natural state. I succeed in growing the chemical out and cut off all the chemically relaxed hair but wore my hair naturally for only about three months before going back to chemical relaxers. Sadly, I didn’t feel that I looked my best with natural hair.

I’ve continued relaxing my hair since I’ve been in Ghana and have worn braids to take a break but recently felt the desire to try something different. So I got a weave. Not a video vixen weave, by that I mean long flowing hair, but a weave nonetheless. My weave was a short bob with bangs, or as said in the UK, a “fringe.” I LOVED the weave. Loved it! In fact I have since removed it and am seriously contemplating getting another one. Having it in my hair made my morning routine so much easier. I barely spent any time styling my hair, I pretty much just brushed the weave into shape and went about my day. I didn’t worry about humidity, sweat or rain. When the hair got wet, it dried and fell right back into place.

I used to think that women who constantly wore weaves were being fake. I also thought of it as unprofessional. When I thought of weaves images of Lil Kim and Foxy Brown came to mind and who the hell wants to look like them? Additionally, I’ve read articles and essays debating whether the wearing of weaves by Black women indicated acceptance and adoption of the European beauty ideal (Fair skin, slim bodies and long flowing hair). Writers have even likened the wearing of weaves by Black women to skin bleaching. I don’t completely follow that line of thinking but have thought that women who constantly wore weaves had some sort of insecurity issue. And now look at me! I wore a weave for a month and am thinking of other possible weave styles. I loved the ease and versatility of it. So now I am thinking that maybe I was thinking about the hair issue too deeply. What’s wrong with wearing weaves and constantly changing one’s hair length, texture or style? Why can’t a Black woman’s hair be like her attire and change daily? Does it really matter if the hair is fake or not?


pictured above is a signboard on Spintex Road (a very busy street in Accra) advertising hair weaves.

5 comments:

  1. Ha ha. I wonder what your new weave will look like. Why are you hating on my girls Kim and Foxy? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to open a weave manufacturing plant in Ghana!
    I'm not a fan of weaves & fake hair either but I've been fooled by some good hairstyling though. Start running fingers through then... uh-oh.
    Since sporting a weave isn't an option for me, there won't be a conversion in my future. LOL

    I think women should do whatever they want with their hair as long as it works best for them. However, I'd like to see more weaves & wigs for black women, styled as natural afro hair though. Those would match better.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are those whose hair look so good you wanna touch....and those you wish you hadn't sat next to.
    But a girl's gotta look good and there is so much a good weave-on can do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind weaves; sometimes though, it gets to a point where people feel as if they don't look good without a weave and it becomes their crutch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Boatemaa, you know Fox Boog and Lil K are a mess!!! I'm still deciding on the weave, I'm thinking something short and if I like it I will cut my hair in the same way.
    @Ghana_Hall_of_Shame, Should you open that weave factory I want to be your business partner. We will be rich!! And yes it's true, we African women seem to prefer the silky long Indian hair looking weaves when in reality how many West African woman have hair that texture and length?
    @hollatainment, LOL. ITA, a good weave can do wonders.
    @cocoslim83, that is true, I know people who have not worn their real hair in years. It does seem as if they've become dependent on it.

    ReplyDelete