Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bamboozled, hoodwinked, led astray, run amuck!

I just realized I never gave the background story on how I became a tro tro rider. Nor have I even described a tro tro. Tro tro is Ghana's public transportation. Basically a tro tro is a vehicle with multiple seats used as public transportation. The cost of a tro tro ride depends on your destination.

I didn't move to Ghana knowing that I was going to be a daily tro tro rider. In fact I purchased a car for my stay in Ghana to avoid that. I bought the car through a person who shall remain nameless. I provided said person with the money for the purchase and shipping of the car in December of 2009 and was told the car would be in Ghana by the end of February, just in time for my return to Ghana.

Well, I returned to Ghana in February of 2010 but my car didn't actually arrive at my home until July 14, 2010. There is so much I can say about all that occurred between February and July but that would lead to the creation of a whole new blog. During the time between February and July I often took tro tro to cut down on taxi fares.

I've titled this post "bamboozled, hoodwinked, led astray, run amuck!" because the car I finally received does not match the car I was sent a picture. But you know what?? It is finally here and for that I am grateful. Additionally, this car, though not what I expected, appears to be decent so I will be RIDING! Well once I get over my fear of driving in Ghana. LOL

1 comment:

  1. you're very courageous! Are you on a stick shift or automatic?
    I learned to drive in Senegal on a stick shift and the "cars rapides", they're like tro tro..or matatu in Kenya used to scare me soo much!!
    I started driving bare foot and never stopped

    ReplyDelete