Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Don’t mind me, I’m just digging

Every morning my lovely neighbor drops me at Danquah circle. From there I take a tro tro to Nima police station. This ride takes no more than ten minutes and costs me 20 pesewas, which is about 14 cents. Trotros are operated by a trotro driver and a trotro mate. The tro tro mate is responsible for collecting the tro tro fare from the passengers, opening and closing the door of the trotro and yelling out the tro tro stops. Today I boarded the trotro and took the only available seat, the one directly next to the tro tro mate. From that seat I had the pleasure of watching the trotro mate pick his nose from Danquah Circle to Nima police station which is the about two miles. I kid you not. The man picked, he dug, he extracted objects, examined them, flicked them and then dug again. I winced each time he flicked something and prayed it wouldn't land on me. He stopped only to open the trotro door, allow passengers to sit and exit and collect fares. It was as if he was performing nasal surgery on himself. I really hope he finds whatever he was digging for.

2 comments: