Thursday, August 12, 2010

Gate 1, My Car 0

I am driving but I drive in absolute fear of trotro drivers who are biggest bullies on the roads of Accra. I have attempted to gather courage and continue on my path as they pretend to careen into my vehicle in order to cut me off but I back down each time and allow them to jump in front of me. Why? Because I fear they will hit my car. And I know that if they were to hit my car I would be left with the expense, so I drive as if I’m driving Ms. Daisy and just hope I arrive at my destination unscathed.

My morning routine consists of me calling the house help to open the massive iron gate so that I can leave the house and go to work. Well, our house help was not available to open the gate the other day and I told my cousins not to worry because surely I could open the gate and drive the car out of the driveway myself. Ummm, no. I managed to get the gate open and secure each side of the gate, (or so I thought) and then went to drive my car out of the driveway. I thought I had made it past the gate when I heard a bang and then a screeching sound. I looked and realized that the gate had been not properly secured and instead had hit my car. And as I drove the car past the gate the gate scratched my bumper leaving a trail of brown paint. I’ve officially had my first accident in Accra and no it wasn’t with my arch rival, the trotro driver, it was with an iron gate.

I’ve been so busy worrying about trotro drivers that I failed to realize the real danger lies with the gate at my home!

2 comments:

  1. Now, THAT is funny.
    Been there.
    Came home from school back in the day, stole mom's car and abused it to a decent degree. All the stunts I pulled with that car didn't hurt it. It was the gate when I got back home that clipped me.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I feel your pain! I've managed to conquer Circle, driven through Nima and Osu but got caught by the gate at my house. SHAAMMMMMEEE!

    ReplyDelete