Monday, August 2, 2010

I'm driving!

I've started driving!!! It is both liberating and terrifying. I am happy to no longer depend on people for rides, fight with taxi drivers about the fares and deal with the insanity of tro tro but driving in Accra isn't easy. First, though running late is expected and culturally accepted most drivers in Ghana exercise very little patience behind the wheel. It is not surprising to have someone honk their horn at you just seconds after the light has changed from red to green. Secondly, rules of the road? Hmm, not really sure they exist here. Cars make abrupt turns without indicating, cars are operated sometimes without any lights, drivers often speed unnecessarily and to top it off many of the roads here are in bad condition. Therefore, as someone new to driving I take my time and probably piss off many drivers who find themselves in the unfortunate position of driving behind my vehicle.

In addition to all that I have said above you kind of need a mental GPS system to drive in Ghana. I'm sure it comes with time and experience but for now I am suffering. I try to stick only to main roads because I am sure to lose my way when I attempt short cuts. Very few streets have obvious street signs and there isn't a real address system in Ghana. Directions to one's house often go something like this:

"Take Spintex road to the coca cola round about, then go straight until you reach Mr. Bigg's. Upon reaching Mr. Bigg's take a left, drive straight until you see the sign board for ER internet cafe, then make left and drive until you see the kiosk where they repair shoes, then take a left and go over the speed bumps. My house is the white house just after the third speed bump. There is a woman who sells roasted plantain and ground nuts at the end of the road, if you see her, you've gone too far."

So imagine trying to get accustomed to driving and having to deal with directions such as this. It isn't easy!




5 comments:

  1. You brave soul! Welcome to the madness of driving in Ghana. Stay far away from trotros and taxis and other crazy drivers and you'll be just fine:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're as brave as you are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement Boatemaa and Desert Flower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaaaa lol the directions are soo on point and funny!! so wat if the signboard has been taken down when u decide to visit this person eh?? lol oh Ghana hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds just like Ireland. Except you're liable to run into a sheep there as well.

    ReplyDelete