Wednesday, August 4, 2010

To give or not to give

There is a little kiosk by my office building that sells assorted sodas and snacks. The kiosk is run by two very friendly women. One woman is especially nice and always compliments my outfits. Some weeks ago she approached me and said, “I’ve started a charity and would like you to donate clothing. Can you bring some clothes to me tomorrow?” I said, “Sure, I will look through what I have.”

I walked away and thought to myself, “Charity! She’s the charity.” I didn’t at all believe that she was starting a charity and needed clothing donations. Instead it seemed that she wanted a clothing donation from me for her own personal use, either to wear or to sell. But then I felt badly. What if she really was having some sort of clothing drive? Or what if she just wanted the clothes for herself? So what? I have a ton of clothes, why would parting with a few items be such a big deal?

I saw her again this morning and she again complimented me on my outfit and then said, “Oh, have you been able to find something to give me?” I told her I haven’t looked but I think I will go home tonight to look for something to “donate.”

3 comments:

  1. Aaaww, how very nice of you. While you're looking, can you find something to donate to me as well? I'll take any of your DVF wrap dresses;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a very good thing either way. If she's organizing a clothing drive or if she's going to wear the items herself, it's clear they will be going to a good home. It's cool that she admires your style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boatemaa, you can raid my closet only after you allow me raid yours. I covet your Rachel Roy dress.
    Desert Flower, that's very true. I really have more than enough and can spare some.

    ReplyDelete