Friday, August 13, 2010

Kufuor plus two more?

John Kufuor is the former president of the Republic of Ghana. He served two four year terms just before the current President. I thought Kufuor did great things for Ghana, there was quite a bit of economical growth and infrastructure development during his terms in office. I became particularly endeared to him when he appeared on KSM’s “Thank God It’s Friday” a local television show. The show aired while I was in Ghana last year and during the program Kufuor spoke lovingly of his wife Theresa Kufuor. He explained that they had been together for over fifty years and met as teenagers. They also have five children together. He painted the picture of a loving, happy marriage so imagine my shock and dismay when I heard the allegations that he fathered twins with a woman named GizeleYajzi. Apparently these allegations first surfaced in 2005, however they resurfaced again this week. Ms. Gizele Yajzi claims that Ex-President Kufuor fathered her seven year old male twins and also went on to say she had the children out of love and not any attempt to blackmail the president. DNA testing has not been performed and Ex-President Kufuor has never even seen the children.

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=187928

After hearing the story I came home to discuss it with my family members. One said, “And so what?” When I asked, “What do you mean” she said, “So what if he fathered twins with another woman, is it our business? It is between him and his wife.”

While I understand that Ex-President Kufuor is married to his wife and not to the public doesn’t it matter when a political leader steps outside of their marriage? Or is that a private matter between him and his partner? Especially here in Ghana where polygamy was once the norm and is still very much accepted. Or does a political figure’s extramarital affair only become an issue when that political figure lies about the affair to the public (*cough* *cough* Bill Clinton) Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I think it matters when political leaders step outside of their marriage because whether they like it or not, they are role models for the entire country, and they should definitely be chastised for such behaviour. That being said, I do not appreciate such events being milked to the nth degree for political gain by their opponents. I may despise a man for the decisions he makes in his personal life, but I do not think that it will deter me from voting for him if he is a very capable leader. After all a political leader is not the Pope, and it should really be between him, his wife, and of course, God before whom they took their vows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can separate the political life from the personal life. Still, what you do matters. If you are not accountable in one area, why should we believe you are accountable in others? Also, if he did make a mistake and step outside his marriage, I would find it much more honorable for him to own that, confirm that the children are his and be a father to them. What happens with his marriage is between he and his wife. Children don't get to make such choices and to deny your own child is pretty unforgiveable in my book.

    ReplyDelete